13 april 2014

MINDSTYLE | Sunday reading

“Better to have lost in love, than never to have loved at all…”

Why am I writing this? Because lately a lot of things let me think (duh), no seriously. Since I’m ready The Happiness Project and still willing to start with the book The Power of Now, I kept thinking about my (personal) life. I’m always looking for options or solutions to improve myself and my life. It all started with The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey (yes, son of Stephen Covey, the management- guru). This book helped me with a wider and clearer view looking to happenings, people and moments. I remember that I always felt better after reading some pages. And although it focuses more on teens, I still like to read and learn from it! After some time has passed again, I always need to stop myself again (pushing the pause button) and take a look back and forward. What did I do? Was it effective? What did I learn from it? And, what do I want (in the future), where is my focus on? And so on. The same thing with the (Dutch) book Dromen Durven Doen, an effective, fast-reading self-help book. But I forgot about it until I wrote this. I asked myself the question: is it (still) effective to read these books if I kind of forget about it after some weeks/months? My answer to this question is yes. Because even though I forget about it, I will never forget about it totally and in my opinion these books are made to read more times, to pick it up from the shelf while it has been there for months or years, to look into it again and remember the thing you’ve read or maybe start again in it. Because there was a reason why you (or I ) finished it the first time and I think it’s good to refresh your mind again. Just like memories, sometime you think you forget something but when someone reminds you about it or you see an old photograph according to this memory it will came back to you. So I decided to keep reading these books and I’m now on 65% of the happiness project and I already noticed that I’m taking time to read it, to apply some things I’ve read. But most of all it makes me realizes what kind of effect my behavior has on me but also on other people. And because I like to share, I’d like to share some good books and tips with you and my favorite quotes!

There are two quotes which are always following me, on paper or online, but these quotes from two amazing people are still close to me.

“They say people changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” – Any Warhol
“Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.” – John Lennon.

Books.
The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin
The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R. Covey
Getting things done - David Allen
Jack Canfield – The Success Principles
The Promise of a Pencil: How an Ordinary Person Can Create Extraordinary Change - Adam Braun
The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now - Meg Jay
Smart Trust - Stephen M.R. Covey
Dromen, durven, doen - Ben Tiggelaar

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten